Southern Lakes Helicopters can proudly boast more than 25 years of experience working with the film industry. We specialise in mountain flying, lifting, aerial filming and crew and gear transport. Our pilots have flown for companies filming in some of the most remote parts of the South Island and in offshore locations in the South Pacific and the Sub-Antarctic Islands.
Our pilots have extensive experience using Continental, Tyler Wescam and Spacecam mounts and our helicopters are outfitted to suit individual film crew requirements. We have provided support to film crews working on large and small scale projects, often in challenging mountainous environments.
Staff at Southern Lakes Helicopters have extensive “on the ground” knowledge and information. We can recommend locally based specialist personnel to assist in all areas of support for your filming operation. Get in touch to find out more.
Our previous work has included
- Feature films - Lord of the Rings, The Vertical Limit, The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, The Chronicles of Narnia, The Hobbit
- International Advertisements
- Promotional filming predominantly in the Mount Cook, Southern Lakes and Fiordland regions
- Offshore filming - Sub Antarctic Islands and New Caledonia
- Television News
- Nature History Documentaries
- Relocation of support Crew
Southern Lakes offer pilots and machines with the ability, expertise and flying skills that have given photographers opportunities to capture numerous award-winning images in the following fields:
- Adventure Sports
- Natural History
- News Media